Running an online business is challenging in the best of times, but in the current economic climate, small business owners must take every opportunity to improve the efficiency of their operations. A smoothly running organization that offers great customer service will not only maintain current customers but may also attract new clients during tough financial times.
The key to keeping customers loyal and satisfied may be as simple as adding or updating help desk software. The cost of installing this type of system proves to be negligible for many business owners when compared to the following benefits it affords their companies:
- Fewer employees are needed to deal with customer issues.
- Information about products and troubleshooting is available for both the service agent and the client.
- Tracking of problems is automatic and documentation easily handled.
- Company receives immediate feedback from clients concerning their customer support.
- Most troublesome issues can be found and addressed in the company support database.
- Speeds the problem resolution process, while supporting and tracking all issues.
- Allows customers of all nationalities to be served in their own language.
Sometimes companies put off investing in good help desk software because they are unaware of just how much time and money can be saved through this investment. Some owners feel they are too small to justify a help desk software solution while others are unsure of how their customers will react to a new system. The following questions are useful in determining if help desk software is suitable for your online business:
- Is your customer base and product line growing at a rapid rate?
- Have clients begun to complain about customer service or unresolved complaints?
- Is the average problem being resolved within a twenty-four hour timeframe?
- Are the salaries of customer service agents eating into the company bottom line?
- Does the company have a process for tracking all customer service issues and identifying common problems?
- Does the company have a process for determining the efficiency of its troubleshooting agents?
- Do clients have access to a complete database of information that allows them to try to resolve most issues themselves without the necessity of speaking with a live agent?
By carefully considering the answers to these questions, business owners should get a clearer picture of whether help desk software could be an asset to their companies. Most discover that a help desk software solution can improve the efficiency of the problem resolution process and make excellent customer service more affordable.
If help desk software appears to be a good match for your company, it may be time to explore the many options available. These include self-hosted software and cloud based programs. Some help desk software companies will even let business owners explore their products on a trial basis to ensure that it is the right fit for their business environment. The most important aspect of any help desk software is that it is user friendly to both online business owners and their clients.
About the Author: Sarah Peterson writes for a help desk software website that compares the different products available and helps business owners choose the solution that best meets their customer service needs.